Thursday 4 May 2017

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Review

I want to start this off by saying I did not hate this film, I am just disappointed. This trend of 4th wall breaking and references needs to stop and I understand that the first Guardians kicked this off but not to the extent that Vol. 2 does.

One thing I have noticed with my reviews is that I do not discuss plot that much and this review will be the first to rectify this problem so lets discuss the plot. The film revolves around StarLord finding his father played by Kurt Russell while being hunted by a race of aliens after Rocket Raccoon stole something from their home-world. Early on in the film the Guardians are split up and we have three storylines that all come together at the end. Now the story itself is rather decent and I found myself rather engaged in the story, but I found myself wanting a little more from this sequel, it feels rather disjointed from the previous film. The story is decent enough to keep me engaged and is rather interesting. The biggest problem with the characters and dialogue is the references which honestly does stop the film and take me out of the film even more than in the first film. Not to say the music takes me out, in fact the soundtrack did not annoy me and it works rather decent for the most part on the other hand the score is rather lacking which is a common theme in the Marvel movies.

All the performances are fine with Kurt Russell fitting perfectly into the Marvel Universe as Ego and everyone else is comfortable in their roles with Dave Bautista having lots of fun with the role. My biggest issue is with the character of StarLord and how he is mainly used as a way of having references in the film, he does have some character but the ratio is heavily on the reference side.

In terms of direction the film is fine, the slow motion does become rather distracting and the film does follow the same basic pattern as the first one. The costumes and makeup are rather good but this is contrasted with some distracting CG at points with some parts looking a little too cartoony in a major motion picture. I was surprised with how Baby Groot was used in sparing fashion which was nice because the advertising made it look like this movie's equivalent of the Minions.

Overall I would recommend seeing this film because when its good and engaging its really good and worth a watch but it does have problems that can suck you out of the experience and the references do let this film down.

7/10

Written By
Ashley Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment