Friday 14 July 2017

Rope - Review

I would like to start by saying that I have not seen many Hitchcock films which is bad I know but what better time to start. I had previously seen Psycho, Rear Window, North By Northwest, The Birds and Vertigo with Psycho being my favourite but after watching Rope I think Psycho might have some competition.

I would say Rope is most famous for its "one shot" nature and this being from 1948 it is very impressive and does contribute to the suspense of the film. There are cuts and if you are paying close attention you will notice them but I film is far more than a gimmick and does hold up today. Suffice to say the cinematography of Rope is top notch with the camera moving effortlessly between rooms and focusing on different characters within the story.

The performances are all good with James Stewart being the standout but everyone was convincing in their roles and you were engaged with everyone and their own story. It is refreshing to see a film where its simplicity is its charm. I would go further into story but I feel as if you go into Rope without knowing anything the film will be a very enjoyable experience.

From what I know on the internet and people I speak to Rope seems to be lower on the list of Hitchcock films and I find it difficult as to why that is, this is one hell of a good film and I recommend everyone watch it, film enthusiasts and even casual movie watchers will have a good time with this one.

9/10

Written By
Ashley Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment