Tuesday 18 July 2017

Why I Walked Out Of Spider-Man Homecoming

This is not a review of the entire film because to be honest I did not sit through the film and for that I do apologise but this film drove me to the breaking point and in all fairness this is not even the worst film of the year so far but this one broke me. Recently we have been going through this "faux" 80's phase which is annoying in itself but I can deal with if done right, the other trend is having an abundance of references within the film to either make the filmmakers feel better about themselves or they put them in so that a select few audience members can pat themselves on the back. The reason I know this was because I was one of those audience members when I was younger, when I saw The Avengers in 2012 I laughed at the Galaga reference but as the years have gone by and my thoughts on how films should be made and written so has my attitude towards this type of content and to be perfectly honest I have come to resent it. A big reason why I feel as if this has been a major negative on modern movies is the lack of subtlety and direction, who are these for?

So how does this relate to Spider-Man Homecoming? Well within the first 40 minutes which was all that I could stomach there were so many moments that just irked me, lets start off with the use of Can't You Hear Me Knocking by The Rolling Stones and how the use of this song in any film after David O Russell has touched it has lost all credibility. This song would be fine if it was not tainted by wannabe Scorsese filmmakers who want to use rock 'n' roll tracks in their movies. Then there is the dumb humour during the high school scenes and how "Penis Parker" is the phrase that is used several times. The Vlog portion of the opening also contributed to how this film has dated itself already and it only came out this month, my argument with this point and many of my other points is, who is this for? Using the Vlog at the beginning is clearly marketed towards a demo of under 27's whereas the Ferris Bueller reference in both homage and then ruining it by showing the film, who is that supposed to appeal to? It's this content that ruins movies for me now. Spiderman (2002) never had a scene where Peter Parker was watching Superman The Movie, I know that analogy came from nowhere but it does make sense in the context. Why is it that 15 years later we can blatantly do this and no one bats an eyelid. It is clear to me that many film makers are not too concerned with legacy and that is disappointing this is not to say that all contemporary media is bad, not at all but if you were given the opportunity to make a film based on an iconic character why would you rely on all of this auxiliary content to make people like the film. Why can't we just make good movies that stand on their own?

Anyway that was just a rant about why Spider-Man Homecoming forced me out of the cinema. I am not saying that you should not watch the film this was purely for me to vent about the mistakes of modern big budget movies.

Written By
Ashley Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment