Tuesday 21 February 2017

My LaserDisc Journey: Pioneer DVL 909 Has Died.

Today is a mildly sad day because my Laserdisc player has finally decided to stop working. It is a Pioneer DVL 909 and when powered on all I get on the front display is "FLASH RD" i have no idea what it means and if anyone out there knows please do contact me, I would love to know the exact problem with my machine.

So how did I get into Laserdisc? Well it all started around 2010 I was fully into collecting Blu Ray's, DVDs and HD DVD's when one day I saw AVGN post a video about Laserdisc, I was amused by how strange it was to watch films on essentially a DVD that was three times the size. I liked the presentation of the films, in the vinyl style sleeves and the players really appealed to me because I am a massive fan of bulky electronics.

I got a player in early 2011 that came with 40 movies a lot of them were run of the mill titles such as The Nutty Professor or Weekend At Bernies and some were decent titles such as Star Wars and Willow. Problem was the player itself was broken, the disc tray refused to open, a common fault with Laserdisc players. Soon after that I invested in a cheap single sided player but later that day i also won an auction on Ebay for the Pioneer costing around £130. So now I had two players.

I collected a few more titles but never went crazy with it like I have done with HD DVD and never really used to watch anything. The only real example of using it to watch something would be True Lies and that was only because i heard the Laserdisc was the best I personally could get.

Laserdisc was nothing more than a novelty to me and still is, I wont be discarding my player it will sit proudly in my room and i will keep some of the movies purely because they make good display pieces.

The thought of replacing the player has not really come to mind either, it was a niche format I adopted six years ago but never really invested in it. I find it funny that this happens after I post about reviewing dead formats. I will still be making an in-depth review and retrospective for Laserdisc I thought it would be good to mention that my player has unfortunately died.

So for now I say goodbye to Laserdisc, it was fun while it lasted.

Written By
Ashley Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment